As you round the corner to your home and begin to pull into your driveway, do you feel welcomed by the exterior of your home? Are fragrant flowers inviting you to your door as you cross your walkway up to your front porch? One of biggest investments we make in our lives is in our home. It’s important to feel good about the way it looks.
Retain your home’s value and get the greatest enjoyment from it each time you walk out your door by utilizing our ten best ways to create stunning curb appeal.
1. Keep your grass well-manicured and healthy. If you have areas that are turning brown or just won’t seem to grow grass, consider consulting a landscaper about soil, fertilization, and irrigation issues. Having a schedule for your lawn maintenance will help you decipher problem areas and allow you to identify their progress.
2. Edge around your flower beds and walkways so that there is separation between the various areas throughout your yard. It may take a while to complete the first time but a proper edge is easier to maintain. Keep weeds out of site with treatments and with neatly installed mulch in garden beds and tree rings.
3. Prune bushes and trees in the front and along the side of your home for a polished looked that will ensure your safety from hazardous stray limbs and dead branches. Also note the balance and scale of your trees and bushes to the size of your property and home because proportion is the key to presenting a peaceful and inviting environment.
4. Have a variety of seasonal flowers, as well as perennials planted throughout your entire front yard. Don’t just have a garden bed near your front door, place plants along walkways, near mailboxes and around trees. By utilizing both perennials and seasonal flowers you will have the advantage of flowering plants for more seasons of the year. Plant flowers and plants that complement each other in color and consider how they will fit in with the décor of your home’s exterior.
5. Creating curb appeal isn’t just about your landscape it is also about the exterior of your home. Power wash siding to keep it clean or make sure the paint looks fresh on your home and not chipped by doing a few touch-ups. Check your mailbox for signs of wear and keep it fresh and inviting with paint and flowers. Don’t forget cleaning your windows will give your house that extra sparkle and shine.
6. Clean your gutters to prevent drainage and irrigation issues on your landscape. Sagging gutters full of leaves are unsightly and potentially dangerous; they are also a great place for weeds to take root.
7. Sweep your stone, concrete or wood sidewalks, driveways and porches to periodically check for wear-and-tear issues. Replace areas that are chipped or broken and re-seal surfaces with cracks.
8. If you have a front porch or stairway leading to your door, most building codes require that a railing be installed. Fortunately, railings can be more than just functional they can also add a unique and personal touch to your landscape by incorporating materials that are meaningful to you.
9. Be aware of the appearance of items in your yard such as garbage cans, AC units, meters or hoses. Covering unsightly items with shrubs or fencing is typically a great way to make them blend into the background. Sometimes a perfectly positioned trellis or even just a decorative bucket for a hose can take you from mess to impress!
10. Landscape lighting, although necessary for many homeowners to illuminate walkways, is the cherry on top when it comes to creating curb appeal. Whether you want to spotlight a stunning focal point in your yard or create an ambient feel, landscape lighting will make your curb appeal shine.
Our top 10 ways to create curb appeal will give your home a clean and polished look with your own unique twists and style. Whether you have decided to spruce up your front yard to attract buyers or you are just craving a change, utilize your instincts and an experienced landscape designer to achieve the look you have always wanted for your home.